Learn how to write a sales plan for a business and get details of its importance and the techniques that should be included in such a document.
Write Sales Plan for your Business
The sales plan sets targets and the tactics, resources and steps that a business should implement to meet its targets. It can also be defined as an assessment of current sales in a given market or region and a list of sales objectives and the resources and strategies necessary to achieve those objectives. This plan forms an integral part defining and implementing a marketing strategy.
Such document is important to help a sales manager keep track of the daily task of advertising a company’s products and generating income. Let us now therefore look at the importance of writing sales plan and the sales techniques techniques that should form part of this plan.
The Important of a Sales Plan
The plan will help the sales representative in the following ways:
- Defining a set of sales targets for the business
- Choosing the right sales strategies and tactics for your target market
- Identifying sales tactics for your sales team
- Coming up with ways to motivate, activate and focus the sales team
- A sales plan can help you know the skills and traits required to form a good sales team
- Coming up with steps and budget to achieve your sales target
- Reviewing your goals in set periods to assess your performance and help you achieve your sales objectives
Sales Plan Techniques
Sales plans set out specific goals, the time frame to achieve such goals, the strategies to achieve these goal and ways to measure results after a certain period:
1. Define your products/ service value – Define the value your product or service will offer to your target market. Defining the value will help you know the key points to use in your marketing strategies.
2. Analyze your current position in the market – Know the exact niche of your service or product. Know your market and how your product compares to your competitors products.
3. Examine the pricing structure – One of the key benefits of the plan is that it gives you the opportunity to come up with a pricing strategy. Look at similar products in your target market and price your products accordingly. The right price should allow you to be competitive in the market and still generate revenue.
4. Define your long-term and short-term goals – Set realistic goals using the recent profits history as a guide, putting into consideration major changes that may affect your revenue both positively and negatively.
5. Outline your current locations and any future plans to establish new locations – Know where your products will be sold and also come with more stores in the future to expand your business.
6. Come up with advertising strategies and methods – The manager responsible for sales can use flyers, website or traditional advertising methods? Come up with your marketing strategies and evaluate their performance or success in the past. Social media is one method that you have to include in your plan if you want to have success.
7. Outline how your sales and marking team will contribute towards achieving the sales objective– Outline how the marketing plan and sales team need to work to help the business achieve successful sales.
8. Set sales expectations and ways to measure your performance – Outline the expected sales, profits, and achievements and come up with ways to measure your success. A good business plan should outline the sales objectives, advertising and product promotion techniques, and any other processes that will help you achieve your goals.
A sales plan should have SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time specific) goals. It is part of the strategic planning of the business. Writing such a plan therefore can help a business set and achieve its long term and short term goals.
Click here to shop for sales plan books at amazon.